Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 23: Sabbath thoughts with Elizabeth Spomer, M.D.



(Cake made by Dr. B. on our parents' 50th wedding anniversary.)

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord,
The Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired.
His understanding is inscrutable.
He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power.
Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly,
Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.
(Isaiah 40:28-31)


Geoff:  Hello, again, Sis! Last week, you shared with us the positive effect adequate rest has on our physical, psychological, and emotional health.  How do you personally incorporate rest/Sabbath into your life?

Elizabeth Spomer (Dr. B): I find it ironic, looking back at my medical education, that such critical topics (sleep, rest, and stress management) were so rarely taught in class. Yet, I did manage to learn a lot about these topics during my training - primarily by first-hand experience of the stress, the sleep deprivation, the lack of rest, and even the lack of joy, at times.

Unfortunately, I have experienced many of the adverse consequences of this stress and lack of rest.  So much so, in fact, that after 12 years of practicing medicine, I decided to step away from my chosen vocation, my career, my identity, my life as a doctor; what I had worked so hard for. Largely as a consequence of years of sleep deprivation (I delivered babies, so that goes with the territory!), stress, and many days devoid of joy, I came to a place where I had to rest. I had to sleep. I had to recover. Fortunately, at the time I was ready to walk away from my job, we were in a place where we could manage the significant change from two to one income, so I just went home and began my long-term “Sabbath”.

“I want to live!”
Wilbur-Charlotte’s Web, 1973  

I am still a doctor. I occasionally fill in at a local walk-in clinic, and I keep my license current. However, I have learned that in order to really “live” with joy and appreciation for all of the gifts I’ve been given, and to be able to give back a little, and share those gifts with others, I have to do things very differently than I did them before.

Geoff:  Hmm.  Such as?

Dr. B:  First, I have to prioritize sleep- 8 hours on a regular basis. Now, if I experience interrupted sleep or a short night, I recognize my body’s inability to function efficiently. I am sleepy, cranky, non-productive and usually find myself heading to the fridge to eat something just to stay awake. When I was a busy, often sleep-deprived physician, I unfortunately exhibited some of these same behaviors. It was not ideal, and I was certainly not setting a good example for my children or my patients.  

I am also learning  the importance of, and starting to “practice”, rest.  Before, when I was a busy physician, my rest was not intentional, it was more obligatory. I would often come home and “veg out” in front of the TV to rest my brain - not really a choice, but the only thing I could manage. Now I stay very busy as a wife and mother, but I don’t get to that place where I am “fried” anymore. I do still rest my brain - sometimes even with an episode of Parenthood or Downton Abby - but the difference is that it is a choice. I still go hard and stay busy, but I prioritize time to rest, relax, drink a cup of tea, read, or daydream about my next chapter in life.

I am also now in a place where I much more actively seek joy. Not only do I look for activities, hobbies, books, TV shows, and food that bring me joy; but I am far more likely to really be “present” with my kids and my husband so that the joy in the precious little moments (hugs, giggles, and even tears) are treasured so much more.

I am finally starting to feel rested and whole. It has taken a long time to feel human again, and I am still a work in progress. What I know now that I didn’t recognize before is that rest and recovery are non-negotiable - more so than all of the work, the contributions, and the time I spend doing, giving, and going places. I guess, for me, it took going to medical school, suffering through internship and residency, being up night after night delivering babies, and “burning out“, for God to get it through my thick skull that the real plans he has for me require more than just going, and going. I see now that whatever it is that He has planned for me next, it is going to require that I am rested up and ready - mentally clear, physically strong, and spiritually primed!

Geoff: Wow! That’s awesome! Thanks, Sis. By the way, I think the “thick skull” is genetic.  Any last thoughts?

Dr. B: I believe that in order for all of us to learn and to live this truth about the importance of rest will require a paradigm shift. Parents and grandparents, teachers, bosses, and coaches will need to buy in to this science, so that they can impart their wisdom onto their children, grandchildren, students, and employees. I would love for our children to avoid the pitfalls of being overachievers who view rest and sleep as a flaw in one’s character. I would much rather see them thrive and grow into healthy, productive members or our society.

Thanks, Geoff! This was fun!


Church Stopping. Less doing. More being.

No comments:

Post a Comment