Monday, January 12, 2015

Chapter 21: Acting Like a Chauffeur


You can't do Sabbath in a vaccuum! Today's post is contributed by Heath Bechler. Heath is a family man, business man, God's man, rider of motorcycles, lover of Great Danes, and a good friend.

(Photo from: www.freeimages.com #25708)

“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players;  
They have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts…”
William Shakespeare  ("As You Like It”Act II, Scene VII)

I know, I know…Shakespeare’s prose has hardly been lauded for its Christian content, and his own faith was highly suspect during his time (or so I've read), but this passage has been one of my favorites of all time.  It has proved pivotal in the development and deepening of my faith.

Here’s why: It’s true. It’s simple. And it's honest.  

We are all players. That’s it.  That's all. It’s an easy thing to recognize but, sometimes, it is a hard thing to accept. 
For example, In the morning I start the day off as “Dad”.  I recognize it and I like it.  I get the kids up, dressed, and ready for school.  As a passionate lover and defender of the most important meal of the day, I ensure that both children and "Dad" are well nourished prior to heading to the car.  Then, I shift roles from "Dad" to "Chauffeur."  There is a difference. Before and during breakfast, the kids were responsible to me. Now, I am responsible to them.  As "Dad", I had the power. As "Chauffer", the boys have the power. They are in control.  I am at their whim.  I follow their agenda.  I’m neither presently active nor engaged with them during this time as they are more interested in talking with their friends.  Really, my presence is utilitarian at best.  I am beholden to their musical whims and all manner of conversations;  there’s talk of Minecraft, hockey, our dogs, and occasional bickering.  As "Dad", I had the power and authority.  Not so much as “Chauffeur”.  I’m only present in a simple role.  Sometimes, they take it for granted.  Sometimes, they take advantage of it.  A lot. Sometimes while being simply, "Chauffeur," it is hard to accept and I think that I’d much rather go back to being, "Dad."    
But I have no choice. This tectonic shift happens without much input from me. After all, I am just a player on the stage. "Dad" has made his exit.  "Chauffeur" has made his entrance.  
Please don't misunderstand me, being "Chauffeur" isn't all bad.  After all, I'm good at it.  I've had years of experience doing it. I’m prepared for diverse road conditions, inclement weather, and distracted drivers. 
And I know that this role is only for a moment.  A very fleeting moment.  There will be a moment, not of my choosing, when the curtain will be called and I will exit from this role as well.  And I will miss it. I will miss the insight into the kids' world. I will honestly miss being needed.  This simple truth is a hard thing to accept. In fact, my "Chauffeur" moment is now forever lost with my two older sons.  They are old enough to drive themselves to school now.  They no longer count on my exquisite driving skills. Those deliberate, beautiful moments after breakfast are now gone.  And those moments will not return. I’ll always be “Dad” to my kids.  That’s quite a blessing.  But I won’t always get to play “Chauffeur”…      
It’s not what you think. I’m not “waxing nostalgic”.  I’m not bragging about my relationship with my kids.  I’m confessing.  As a player, I missed something on that stage. I missed the importance and the privilege of my role as, "Chauffeur."
We do the same thing with God, don't we?  After all, we know that God sets the stage, but we still only want specific parts.  Some of us want the big parts. Some of us want to be off stage running the sound.  But all of us pray, “All the world may be a stage, but please, Lord, cast me in the role I want to play!”  The simple truth is that we will all have our entrances and our exits and we will all play many, many different parts.  Some big. Some small. Some are easier to accept than others, but God chooses. God casts us into our roles based on a Grand Finale that only He knows.
 The only question is, “Are YOU willing to play the “part” God as cast you in?”  The God who created the universe has called you to play a very specific and important role in His cosmic melodrama.  It appears the most “minor” parts are just as important as the main ones.
 Matthew 11:11 (NIV) says, “Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Psalms 84:10-11 “ For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.”  
As I reflect on my role of "Chauffeur," I see parallels to my practice of Sabbath. After all, it is in those moments when I find myself just along for the ride, that I am reminded that even THIS casting call is divine.

(You can reach Heath at heathbechler@gmail.com)
Church Stopping. Less doing. More being.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment