Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Year of Sabbaths (Week 48): Downtime


(Photo from www.barrett-jackson.com.  I'll give mine a little wash and then post it.)

"But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself." - Philippians 3:20,21

Sunday was a good day. It was a day that God drew "all things to himself". In the morning, there was church and then home for a simple lunch of panini sandwiches and fresh fruit. In the afternoon, I took a nap, read a book, and received a lovely tennis lesson from a lovely tennis instructor. Dinner was cheese quesadillas and veggies followed by a family devo, popcorn, and a couple of episodes of Phineas and Ferb. Ah! Downtime.

Speaking of downtime, I have an old truck. It's a pick-up, but "truck" sounds way cooler. I bought it new twenty-two years ago this year.  It still has the original engine, but downtime is becoming more and more frequent. There are parts and patches here and there and even a little bit of duct tape holding it all together.  Today, it is getting a new radiator.  Someday, it will be a collector's item and get a frame-up restoration.  Until then, I'll keep it running as well as I can and keep planning on a little downtime now and then.

I'm getting older as well.  It's hard to admit, but I have a little scheduled downtime coming up this weekend.  I still have all my original parts, albeit some with patches and a little bit of duct tape, wire, and glue here and there holding it all together.  And someday, I will be a collector's item and get a frame-up restoration, a "new and glorious body".  Until then, I'll just keep everything running as wells as I can and keep planning for a little downtime now and then.

Church stopping. Less doing. More being.


No comments:

Post a Comment