Monday, November 17, 2014

Week 14: Joy Bombs



(Photo from original Star Trek television series.)

For behold, I create a new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things shall not be remembered or come to mind.
But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create;
For behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing
And her people for gladness.
I will also rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people;
And there will no longer be heard in her the voice of weeping and the sound of crying.
(Isaiah 65:17-19)

And the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which shall be for all the people...." 
(Luke 2:10)

"It is a sin to be sad on the Sabbath day."
(Abraham Heschel)

"Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth."
(Pharell Williams)


Our Sabbath was on Sunday this week.  In the wee hours of the morning, I heard our eight year old screaming from his bedroom. I thought he had fallen out of bed...maybe he was having a bad dream.  Maybe, it was a mouse! (gasp.) No. It had snowed two inches over night. These were glee-filled screams!  God had just dropped a...

Joy Bomb!
Woot! Woot!

After breakfast, we rushed to Target to purchase items for Operation Christmas Child. After all, it was the last day for us to drop the goodie-box off at the goodie-box drop-off spot! (www.samaritanspurse.org) On two unsuspecting young kids in Africa, the Snook family had just dropped a...

Joy Bomb!
Sweet.


After church, a nap and some hot cocoa, our oldest son went outside to shoot some hoops in the snow. Our youngest put ornaments on the Christmas tree. Our eight-year old dusted off his sled and I was reminded what our true Sabbath work really is...


Joy Bombs!
(x3)

I know. I know. We live in a world where the word "bomb" is usually utilized in a sinister way.  In this world there are real bombs that hurt real people. The bad news has taken over the use of this word.  I think it is time for us to take it back! Especially in a world where parents "work-out" instead of play and eat kale instead of ice cream; in a world where pastors speak of "holiness" without cracking a smile and heaven as a far away place; in a world where angels sing only once a year, let's take back the word, drop a bomb, and resume our true Sabbath work:


"It is a sin to be sad on the Sabbath."


Believe me, these are difficult words for me to hear because I have pretended for too long that "responsibility" means "worry" and "holiness" means "humorless." So...

I'm mixing it up.

I'm going to laugh more and dance more...even when the basement is flooded and the weather is cold.  This year, I do not vow to get in shape. I vow to play. I do not promise to loose any weight. I vow to save room for dessert. I promise to rejoice not only when things are going well, but even when they aren't...and when they aren't, I will find someone who is rejoicing and invite myself to their party. It is an easy and lazy drift towards despair.  Sometimes it's hard work to warble but someone told me that singing is the second-most created command in the Bible.  And I believe it is kind of the point...

For behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing
And her people for gladness.

After all, it is no good to keep the joy, joy, joy down in our heart to stay.  Therefore, I decree in the face of this fallen world, to embrace the miracle of myrth, and not just on Saturday or Sunday. Today it's Monday, and it is time to go where no man had gone before.  T.G.I.M! You might be next on my list. So be ready. In fact, join me. It's time, people, to embrace your calling and drop a....

Joy Bomb!

(Who's with me?)

Church Stopping. Less doing. More being.

No comments:

Post a Comment